Are you looking for the best Road cycling routes in the United States? Look no further! Whether you’re an experienced cyclist seeking an endurance challenge or a beginner wanting to feel the wind in your hair, there is a route for you. In this article, we’ll explore the most scenic and challenging road Cycling routes in the US.
Cycling is not only a great form of exercise but also an opportunity to explore the beauty of the country. From the Atlantic to the Pacific coast, and the Rocky Mountains to the Appalachian Range, the United States offers a diverse range of Road cycling opportunities.
But before we dive into the routes, let’s take a moment to appreciate the adventurous spirit of cycling. Cycling is not just a sport, it’s a lifestyle. It’s about feeling the wind in your hair, breathing in the fresh air, and seeing the world from a different perspective. Get ready for an exciting ride!
Are you ready to plan your next Road cycling adventure? Let’s go!
The best things in life are the people we love, the places we’ve been and the memories we’ve made along the way.
Feel the Wind in Your Hair: The Best Scenic Routes to Cycle in the US
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of cycling along a scenic route with the wind in your hair. Here are some of the best scenic Road cycling routes in the US that will take your breath away.
- Pacific Coast Highway: One of the most famous and scenic road Cycling routes in the US, the Pacific Coast Highway runs along the California coast from San Francisco to San Diego. With stunning ocean views and winding roads, this route is a must-ride for road cyclists.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Running through the Appalachian Mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway offers stunning views of the mountains and forests of Virginia and North Carolina. With over 400 miles of road, this route is perfect for a scenic road cycling adventure.
- Lake Champlain Bikeway: If you’re looking for a more laid-back cycling experience, the Lake Champlain Bikeway in Vermont offers scenic views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains. The route passes through quaint New England towns and historic sites.
Whether you prefer coastal views, mountain scenery, or the charm of New England, there is a scenic road cycling route in the US for you. Get ready to explore the beauty of the country on two wheels!
Coastal Cycling Adventures
If you’re a fan of coastal views and ocean breezes, you’ll love these Road cycling routes along the coast.
- Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail: Running along the Florida Keys, this route offers stunning ocean views and tropical scenery. With over 100 miles of road, it’s perfect for a weekend cycling adventure.
- Cape Cod Rail Trail: This scenic route on Cape Cod passes through charming New England towns and offers stunning views of the coast. With over 25 miles of road, it’s a great option for a day trip.
- Olympic Discovery Trail: This 130-mile route along the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State offers breathtaking views of the Olympic Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. It’s the perfect road cycling adventure for nature lovers.
If you’re dreaming of a tropical Road cycling adventure, you’ll love these routes.
- Maui’s Haleakala: This 38-mile route takes cyclists to the summit of Haleakala volcano for breathtaking views of Maui. It’s a challenging ride with steep climbs and hairpin turns, but the views are worth it.
- The Overseas Highway: Running from Miami to Key West, the Overseas Highway offers stunning ocean views and tropical scenery. With over 100 miles of road, it’s a road cycling adventure you won’t forget.
- Puerto Rico’s Ruta Panoramica: This 167-mile route takes cyclists through the mountains and forests of Puerto Rico, with stunning views of the Caribbean Sea. It’s a challenging ride, but the beauty of the island makes it worth the effort.
Historic Routes and Challenging Climbs
If you’re an experienced cyclist looking for a challenge, these historic routes and mountain climbs are worth checking out.
- Going-to-the-Sun Road: This iconic road in Glacier National Park is a must-ride for adventurous cyclists. With steep climbs and hairpin turns, this route offers stunning views of the mountains and glaciers of Montana.
- Mount Evans: This 28-mile route in Colorado climbs to the summit of Mount Evans, the highest paved road in North America. It’s a challenging climb with breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains.
- The Death Ride: This 129-mile route in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains takes cyclists over five mountain passes with a total ascent of over 15,000 feet. It’s not for the faint of heart, but the stunning views and sense of accomplishment make it a must-ride for experienced cyclists.
Rocky Mountain High
If you’re a fan of mountain scenery and challenging climbs, these routes in the Rocky Mountains are perfect for you.
- Trail Ridge Road: Running through Rocky Mountain National Park, this route offers stunning views of the mountains and valleys of Colorado. With over 40 miles of road and an elevation of over 12,000 feet, it’s a challenging ride but the views are worth it.
- Million Dollar Highway: This 25-mile route in Colorado offers stunning views of the San Juan Mountains and historic mining towns. With steep climbs and hairpin turns, it’s a challenging ride but the scenery is worth it.
- Beartooth Highway: This 68-mile route in Montana and Wyoming offers stunning views of the Beartooth Mountains and Yellowstone National Park. With steep climbs and high elevations, it’s a challenging ride but the scenery is unforgettable.
Pedal Across Mountains: The Top Endurance Challenges for Experienced Cyclists
If you’re an experienced cyclist looking for a challenge, these endurance challenges will test your limits.
- Race Across America: This 3,000-mile race from coast to coast is one of the toughest endurance challenges in the world. With a time limit of 12 days, cyclists must ride an average of 250 miles per day. It’s not for the faint of heart!
- Leadville 100: This 100-mile race in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains takes cyclists through high-altitude terrain with steep climbs and technical descents. It’s a challenging ride but the scenery is breathtaking.
- Trans-Sylvania Epic: This six-day stage race in Pennsylvania’s Appalachian Mountains covers over 200 miles of challenging terrain. With steep climbs and technical descents, it’s a true test of endurance.
These endurance challenges are not for everyone, but if you’re up for the challenge, the sense of accomplishment is unbeatable. Get ready to push your limits!
If you’re looking for a multi-day Road cycling adventure, these endurance challenges will take you on a journey through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country.
- Cycle Oregon: This seven-day ride through Oregon’s mountains, valleys, and forests covers over 400 miles of stunning terrain. With daily climbs and descents, it’s a challenging ride but the beauty of the state makes it worth it.
- Tour de Georgia: This six-day ride through Georgia’s mountains and southern countryside covers over 500 miles of challenging terrain. With steep climbs and fast descents, it’s a true endurance challenge.
- Bike Virginia: This five-day ride through Virginia’s historic towns and countryside covers over 300 miles of scenic terrain. With rolling hills and mountain climbs, it’s a challenging and rewarding ride.
Whether you’re a fan of mountains, valleys, or historic towns, these multi-day road cycling adventures offer something for everyone. Get ready to ride!
Road Cycling Classics
If you’re looking for the ultimate Road cycling experience, check out these classic rides.
- The Colorado Classic: This four-day race in Colorado brings professional cyclists from around the world to compete in challenging mountain stages and fast-paced city criteriums. It’s a true test of skill and endurance.
- The Tour of California: This eight-day race through California’s mountains, valleys, and coastline is one of the premier road cycling events in the world. With high-profile riders and stunning scenery, it’s a must-see for cycling fans.
- The Tour de France: The ultimate road cycling event, the Tour de France is a three-week race through the mountains, valleys, and countryside of France. With millions of spectators and high-profile riders, it’s the pinnacle of road cycling.
These classic road cycling events offer a unique blend of challenge, scenery, and competition. Whether you’re a fan of professional racing or just want to experience the ultimate road cycling challenge, these events are not to be missed.
Saddle Up for a Long-Distance Adventure: The Best Multi-Day Bike tours in the US
Multi-day bike tours are an excellent way to see the country while getting some serious exercise. The US has an incredible selection of biking tours that range from a few days to several weeks long.
One of the best multi-day bike tours in the US is the Pacific Coast Bike Route. This scenic 1,800-mile route stretches from Vancouver, Canada, all the way down to San Diego, California. Not only will you experience breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, but you’ll also get to visit charming coastal towns and cities along the way.
Another popular bike tour is the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. This route runs from Montana all the way down to New Mexico, spanning over 2,700 miles. The trail follows the Continental Divide and takes you through some of the most beautiful landscapes in North America, including the Rocky Mountains and the Great Basin.
If you’re looking for a more leisurely bike tour, try the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee. This 444-mile ride follows an ancient Native American trading route and boasts stunning views of forests, rivers, and historic landmarks along the way.
The Pacific Coast Bike Route: A Scenic Adventure Along the West Coast
The Pacific Coast Bike Route is one of the most breathtaking bike tours in the US. Starting in Vancouver, Canada, and ending in San Diego, California, this route covers 1,800 miles of stunning coastal views.
Along the way, you’ll pass through charming towns, cities, and iconic landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. The route is suitable for all levels of experience and can be done in sections or as a full tour.
It’s no wonder the Pacific Coast Bike Route is a favorite among cycling enthusiasts from around the world.
The Oregon Coast: A Must-See on the Pacific Coast Bike Route
The Oregon Coast is one of the most scenic parts of the Pacific Coast Bike Route. With its rugged coastline and epic views of the Pacific Ocean, this section of the route is not to be missed.
Some of the key highlights along the Oregon Coast include the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, and the small beach town of Bandon.
Make sure to take your time on this part of the route and soak up all the natural beauty it has to offer.
The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route: A Challenge for Experienced Cyclists
The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route is not for the faint of heart. This challenging 2,700-mile route runs from Montana all the way down to New Mexico and spans the Continental Divide.
Along the way, you’ll encounter some of the most rugged terrain and intense weather conditions the US has to offer. But for experienced cyclists, the challenge is worth it for the stunning views and unforgettable memories.
If you’re up for the challenge, the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route is waiting for you.
The Rocky Mountains: A Highlight of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route
The Rocky Mountains are a key highlight of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. This section of the trail takes you through some of the most stunning natural landscapes in North America.
Some of the key highlights include the majestic peaks of Colorado, the hot springs of New Mexico, and the dramatic cliffs of Wyoming. This part of the route is a serious challenge but offers some of the most rewarding views and experiences.
Find Your Rhythm: The Top Cycling Events and Festivals in the US
If you’re looking to ride with like-minded individuals and experience the energy and excitement of a cycling event or festival, look no further than the US.
There is an impressive range of cycling events and festivals held across the country each year, catering to all levels of experience and riding styles. Here are a few of the top ones to check out.
First up is RAGBRAI, the Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. This annual event attracts thousands of cyclists from around the country who gather to ride across Iowa for a week. The route changes each year, but the experience is always unforgettable.
Another popular cycling event is the Tour de Fat, held in seven cities across the US. This event celebrates bikes, beer, and music, and includes a costume contest, parade, and bike-themed carnival games.
Finally, if you’re looking for a more competitive event, check out the Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race in Colorado. This grueling race takes place at elevations of over 10,000 feet and covers 100 miles of rocky terrain. It’s not for the faint of heart, but for those who complete it, it’s a story to tell for years to come.
RAGBRAI: Cycling Across Iowa with Thousands of Fellow Enthusiasts
RAGBRAI is one of the most popular cycling events in the US, attracting thousands of cyclists from around the world each year. The ride takes place over the course of a week and covers over 400 miles across Iowa.
The route changes each year, but the experience is always unforgettable. Along the way, you’ll ride through charming towns, enjoy delicious food and drinks, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
RAGBRAI is a celebration of cycling and camaraderie, and it’s an event not to be missed by any enthusiast.
The Iowa State Fair: A Highlight of the RAGBRAI Route
One of the key highlights of the RAGBRAI route is the Iowa State Fair. This massive event attracts over a million visitors each year and is a must-see for anyone visiting Iowa.
Riders can take a break from cycling to enjoy the fair’s famous deep-fried treats, live music, and entertainment. It’s a chance to experience Iowa’s unique culture and traditions in a fun, festive atmosphere.
Tour de Fat: A Celebration of Bikes, Beer, and Music
The Tour de Fat is a one-of-a-kind cycling event that celebrates bikes, beer, and music. Held in seven cities across the US, Tour de Fat includes a bike parade, live music, costume contest, and carnival games.
The event is free to attend, and proceeds from beer sales go to support local non-profits. Tour de Fat is a chance to enjoy the fun, community-oriented spirit of cycling in a festive, laid-back atmosphere.
Whether you’re a casual rider or a serious cyclist, Tour de Fat is an event not to be missed.
Carnival Games and Beer: The Best of Tour de Fat
One of the key highlights of Tour de Fat is its carnival games and fun-loving atmosphere. Participants can test their skills at bike-themed carnival games, enjoy local food and drinks, and soak up the energy and spirit of the event.
The event’s beer garden is also a popular spot, featuring a selection of delicious brews from local breweries. Whether you’re there for the music, the games, or the beer, Tour de Fat is a guaranteed good time.
Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race: A Serious Challenge for Experienced Cyclists
The Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race is one of the most challenging cycling events in the US. This grueling race takes place in Colorado and covers 100 miles of rocky terrain at elevations over 10,000 feet.
The event attracts some of the best cyclists in the world and is considered a pinnacle of achievement for experienced riders. Completing the Leadville Trail 100 is a badge of honor and represents the ultimate test of a cyclist’s skills and endurance.
If you’re up for the challenge, the Leadville Trail 100 is waiting for you.
The Rocky Mountains: A Stunning Backdrop for the Leadville Trail 100
The Leadville Trail 100 takes place in some of the most stunning locations in the Rocky Mountains. Participants get to test their skills against the rugged terrain and take in breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
Some of the key highlights of the route include the infamous Powerline climb, the stunning Twin Lakes, and the epic descent into Leadville at the finish line. The Leadville Trail 100 is not for the faint of heart, but for those who complete it, the sense of accomplishment is unmatched.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are some scenic road cycling routes in the United States?
Some of the best scenic routes to cycle in the US include the Pacific Coast Highway in California, Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina, and Going-to-the-Sun Road in Montana.
What are some top endurance challenges for experienced cyclists in the United States?
Some of the top endurance challenges for experienced cyclists in the US include the Triple Bypass in Colorado, the Dirty Kanza in Kansas, and the Death Ride in California.
What are some of the best multi-day bike tours in the United States?
Some of the best multi-day bike tours in the US include the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal Towpath in Maryland and Pennsylvania, the Katy Trail in Missouri, and the Pacific Coast Bike Route from Canada to Mexico.
What are some top cycling events and festivals in the United States?
Some of the top cycling events and festivals in the US include the Tour de France-inspired Tour of Utah, the Sea Otter Classic in California, and the Tour de Fat, a national bike parade and brew festival hosted in various cities across the US.
Would you like to check out our article ‘The Beauty of Baroque Art and Architecture in Rome‘ in this category?
Check out video on YouTube for more information.